May 9, 2021
  • 5:53 am The effect of vertical migration strategy on retention and dispersion in the Irish Sea during spring–summer
  • 5:50 am The basal roughness of Pine Island Glacier, West Antarctica
  • 5:48 am Tracking fitness in marine vertebrates: current knowledge and opportunities for future research
  • 5:47 am Coastal barium cycling at the West Antarctic Peninsula
  • 5:59 am Tour bus headed to Masters overturns, driver charged with DUI: Officials

The remains were stored before a 2006 change in the law which made it illegal to remove or store human tissue without consent. Detective Chief Superintendent Mary Doyle said: “This is a deeply sensitive and private matter for the families affected and the decision to contact them was not taken lightly”. A spokesman for the Greater Manchester mayor’s office said it was a “deeply distressing matter” and it had been raised with the chief constable of Greater Manchester Police, Ian Hopkins.Asked why all of Leah’s body had not been handed over in the first instance, a spokeswoman said: “Prior to the implementation of the Human Tissue Act 2004, samples were sent for testing from all forces to leading experts across the country. Regrettably there were occasions where those samples were not reconciled with families. Leah Aldridge in hospital before her deathCredit:Janine Aldridge “Only a few weeks ago yet more body parts were discovered by the police and the family had to go through the ordeal of a third funeral.”Officials from the Home Office are now set to investigate the case. Leah’s family is one of 180 cases where tissue from crime victims has been retained by the police force without their family’s permission.  Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. “The implementation of the Human Tissue Act gave clarity to forces nationally on how tissue samples should be dealt with. “Today samples continue to be sent to labs across the UK but in line with the Act are now returned to the next of kin or sensitively disposed of as per their wishes.” The casket used for Leah’s third funeral, this yearCredit:Janine Aldridge  A family had to hold three funerals for a baby after a police body parts blunder, it has emerged.15 years after Leah Aldridge was killed by her father, her family was told last year that Greater Manchester Police had retained parts of her body without their consent. But a year later her mother Janine Aldridge was told that there were yet more parts that had not been handed over.Ms Aldridge’s MP Chris Green said her family now has “no confidence” that the baby, who was five weeks old when she died, has finally been laid to rest. Ms Aldridge, who was 16 when she lost her daughter, said family friends had helped her investigate the situation herself after the second funeral, because she did not trust that she had been able to bury her properly.Calling the experience “horrific”, she said: “I’m not sleeping with it all, because I’m just constantly thinking that it’s not all of Leah that we have got back.” Janine Aldridge called the experience 'horrific' Janine Aldridge called the experience ‘horrific’Credit:Janine Aldridge Leah suffered brain damage and died at Christmas 2002 after she was shaken by her father Andrew Ashurst, who was later jailed, while Ms Aldridge slept upstairs. Mr Green told the House of Commons: “Last year the police discovered they had retained some of Leah’s body parts and these were returned to the family for a second funeral. The casket used for Leah's third funeral, this year Leah Aldridge in hospital before her death read more