By Jim Haines SHENANDOAH, Va. (May 24) – Jerald Harris got to the front to be the fastest when it counted, taking his second Virginia Sprint Series win of the year Saturday at Shenandoah Speedway. The first repeat winner in the series for IMCA Eagle Motorsports RaceSaver Sprint Cars – he also topped the April 12 opener at Shenandoah – Harris passed Brian Lawson for the lead with seven laps left. The feature line had Chris and Charlie Ware on the front row when the green waved. Chris Ware rocketed out to the lead with Anthony Linkenhoker and Lawson in tow. Lawson made his way to the front on lap five with Harris stalking him on every lap. Tom Humphries and French Grimes were working their way up as well as the non-stop feature went by fast. Lawson seemed to be struggling after halfway and the field was closing in. Harris was on him with seven laps to go and powered by with Humphries getting to second two laps later. Harris was smooth out front and kept Humphries at a safe distance to flash under the checkered flag.The next Virginia Sprint Series race will be back on the dirt at Natural Bridge, Va., Speedway in on Saturday, June 7. Feature results – 1. Jerald Harris; 2. Tom Humphries; 3. Brian Lawson; 4. French Grimes; 5. Tony Harris; 6. Anthony Linkenhoker; 7. Chris Ware; 8. Bill Rice; 9. Ron Moyers; 10. Charlie Ware.
One of the country’s best offensive rebounding teams, No. 9 North Carolina (17-3, 5-1 Atlantic Coast), burned Syracuse down low, grabbing 18 offensive boards and totaling 20 second-chance points in its 85-68 victory over Syracuse (11-8, 3-3) on Monday night at the Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. SU could not avenge its 2016 Final Four loss to North Carolina from over nine months ago. Syracuse plays next on Saturday at Notre Dame. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 16, 2017 at 10:30 pm
The UK has been one of the worst-hit countries in the global pandemic, with the government officially recording nearly 32,000 deaths of people who had tested positive for COVID-19.“We are just people too,” tweeted Norwich midfielder Todd Cantwell on Sunday.There is also disagreement over where the remaining 92 matches of the season would be played.League chiefs believed they would only get the government’s green light to restart if matches were held at a limited number of neutral venues to reduce the medical, police, security and broadcast personnel required.A number of clubs near the bottom of the table have spoken openly of their opposition to the plan as they believe it would increase the risk of being relegated.“With all these compromises and health risks we are asked to finish a competition that bears no resemblance to the one we started,” Watford’s chairman and chief executive Scott Duxbury told the club’s website.Those higher up the table are also concerned at the prospect of having to reimburse sponsors who have paid for naming rights on their stadiums.“I think everybody would prefer to play home and away if at all possible. And I think it’s clear to see that some clubs feel more strongly about that than others,” added Masters.“We are in contact with the authorities and listening to that advice while also representing club views in those discussions.”The prospect of appeasing the clubs struggling at the bottom by ruling out relegation this season also appears over after the English Football Association rejected that idea and told the Premier League that final standings must be based on “sporting merit” if no more games can be played.Masters admitted the Premier League had for the first time held discussions on how the league would be decided if matches cannot restart, but said no definitive formula had been approved.“It was the first time we discussed curtailment – it’s still our aim to finish the season obviously but it’s important to discuss all the options with our clubs,” he said.“No conclusions were reached on any other models. Those are future conversations we may need to have.”Share on: WhatsApp London, United Kingdom | AFP | Premier League clubs received a boost to their hopes of completing the season on Monday as the government published a “roadmap” that could see the return of elite sport in England from June 1.As the 20 English top-flight clubs met for further talks on “Project Restart”, ministers announced plans to ease the coronavirus lockdown.Under step two of that process, which cannot begin any earlier than June 1, sporting events would be allowed “to take place behind closed doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact”.Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he believed the return of sport on TV would “provide a much-needed boost to national morale.”Supporters face a long wait to be allowed to attend matches, though, with the latest guidelines recognising a return to sport in front of a crowd “may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections”.Premier League clubs had been planning for a return to action no earlier than the week beginning June 8.Before the resumption of matches can be considered, protocols need to be agreed on how to return to group training safely and on how the Premier League would deal with positive tests.Brighton confirmed on Sunday that a third member of their squad had tested positive.Cases have also been found in squads in Germany, where the Bundesliga is due to restart this weekend, as well as Italy, Spain and Portugal in recent days.“We have protocols created and reviewed, we have a testing company appointed, but the important consultation with players and managers is the next step,” said Premier League CEO Richard Masters.“No decisions will be made until after we have talked to players and managers and those meetings are scheduled for later this week.”– ‘We are just people too’ –Players have voiced their concerns at the prospect of being rushed back into training and, eventually, into playing a contact sport at a time when the rest of the public remain encouraged to abide by social-distancing guidelines.
This year, at their annual African American Heritage Sports Luncheon, the Pittsburgh Pirates recognized a current day trailblazer: Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin. With one Super Bowl victory already under his belt, Tomlin has added his mark to the pages of Pittsburgh’s sports history.“When I found out the gist of what was going on with the Pirates and what they were doing this weekend, I was truly humbled,” said Tomlin.The Pirates’ Heritage Weekend promotes the team’s community contributions as well as the contributions of African-Americans in Pittsburgh. Serving as keynote speaker at the luncheon on June 8, Tomlin related the bonding experience he had watching the Pirates play the night before with his sons.“That’s what sports is; it provides those moments of growth for fathers and sons,” Tomlin said.On Jan. 22, 2007, Tomlin became the sixteenth head coach of the Steelers and the first African-American head coach in the history of the Steelers franchise. Two years later on Jan. 29 2009, he won his first Super Bowl victory as head coach, making him the youngest head coach to do so. He follows in the groundbreaking footsteps of other Pittsburgh greats like Clemente who was one of the first Black players for the Pirates and by far the team’s best player in history.“There’s a rich history here of African-American contributions, of using the sports vehicle to make a difference in the community,” Tomlin said. “Because I am African-American I hope that inspires others, I hope that creates opportunity for others, because that is important. I embrace that.”Some attribute Tomlin’s hiring to the “Rooney Rule,” a mandate created by former Steelers owner Dan Rooney, requiring teams to interview at least one minority candidate when filling coaching vacancies. However, this claim has been disputed by Rooney who said the Steelers had already interviewed another minority candidate prior to Tomlin.“Through sports, I never thought there was anything I couldn’t achieve,” Tomlin said. “In essence, my charge is to show people they can do things in any endeavor. Sport just happens to be mine.”Each year, the Pirates Heritage weekend serves as a three-day long celebration with promotions and special events that focus on honoring and recognizing African-Americans in baseball while celebrating the African-American culture in the Pittsburgh community.“When you take a look at the early Pirates, there are so many African-American legends who made an impact,” said Chaz Kellem, manager of diversity initiatives for the Pittsburgh Pirates. “With our selection of Coach Tomlin as this year’s speaker, we wanted to make sure we showed loyalty to the Pittsburgh sports community, especially with him being a young coach and one of the first African-American coaches.” In 1971, the Pittsburgh Pirates were the most integrated team in major league baseball. That year on Sept. 1, the Pirates made history when they fielded the first all-Black lineup in the history of the major league.Throughout the years, the city of Pittsburgh has produced a long list of legendary sports moments. From celebrated players Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, and Dave Parker to the popularity of Pittsburgh’s two Negro-league teams, the contributions of African-Americans in baseball blazed trails for minorities in all professional sports arenas. CURRENT DAY TRAILBLAZER—Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin Coach receives an honorary jersey from Pittsburgh Pirates after keynoting the African American Heritage luncheon on June 8 at the PNC Park Lexus Club. (Courier Photo/Rossano P. Stewart)