“Remember that corruption during disasters is punishable by death,” Firli said in a press statement Saturday.He invoked Article 2 of the 2001 Anticorruption Law, which states that the maximum penalty could be given under certain circumstances.No corruption convict in Indonesia has ever been given the death sentence. The decision to mete sentences is in the hands of the court, which has to take into account mitigating circumstances.Despite the government’s instructions last week for everyone to work from home, all KPK staffers, including investigators, will continue to work from their office in Kuningan, South Jakarta, Firli said. The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) wants the death penalty for people convicted of corruption during the COVID-19 outbreak, in a stark turnabout from its recent focus on prevention instead of actively pursuing investigations.According to KPK chairman Firli Bahuri, the agency will be going for the maximum penalty allowed under the law.With the government pouring Rp 62.3 trillion (US$3.9 billion) into nationwide measures to combat COVID-19 and launching social safety net programs, there are growing fears that much of that money could be embezzled. When he landed the position of KPK chairman in December 2019, the police commissioner general vowed to work on preventing corruption and fostering better coordination with government institutions, which previously had been the target of many KPK investigations.His new approach came with the new KPK Law enacted in October, which effectively took away much of the antigraft body’s independence and some of its more effective investigating tools, including wiretapping.Among the major projects initiated is the conversion of Wisma Atlet Kemayoran in Central Jakarta into a hospital and using two small islands in Riau Islands province to accommodate thousands of COVID-19 patients.Firli warned not to expect the KPK to conduct raids or sting operations to catch corruption suspects in the act, a method that proved effective in the past.“We understand that many critics want to see KPK raids and they want results,” he said, taking note of the declining public trust in his agency as shown by several recent surveys.“But we don’t conduct raids as a goal or a gimmick just to show that the KPK is working.” (mfp)Topics :
Premier League side Leicester City are ready to listen to offers for Super Eagles forward Kelechi Iheanacho in a move to fund their pursuit of in-demand £40m-rated Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard. The 23-year-old Nigerian international joined Leicester from Manchester City for £25m in 2017 and has been mostly used as a sub by manager Brendan Rodgers. However, the former Golden Eaglets ace still managed ten goals in 26 appearances, but the Foxes are keen to strengthen their striking options and are among clubs chasing Celtic’s £40m-rated striker Edouard. Brendan Rodgers (left) worked with Edouard for several years while at Celtic Offloading their Nigerian-import can help offset their spending with Aston Villa among suitors showing an interest. Iheanacho managed a respectable 10 goals across all competitions this term and is bound to have suitors.Advertisement Read Also: Arteta hopeful FA Cup win will keep Aubameyang at Arsenal Intrestingly, the Foxes could have had Champions League football to entice any targets to the King Power Stadium, but narrowly missed out on the top four towards the end to the campaign. They claimed only two wins out of their 10 games after the restart to surrender their grip on third place, with Manchester United and Chelsea finishing third and fourth respectively. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… On the other hand, Edouard netted 21 times and made 12 assists in 27 league appearances last campaign and is also on the radar of Arsenal, Leeds United and Everton. Rodgers will be banking on close ties with Edouard to swings the transfer in his favour, having previously managed him while at helms of affairs of the Scottish club. Promoted Content8 Fascinating Facts About CoffeeWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growth9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooTV Characters Who Hated Each Other But Later Became FriendsA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of Art8 Most Expensive Mistakes The World Has Ever MadeBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemAwesome But Ridiculously Expensive Things Bought By Keanu ReevesWorld’s Most Delicious FoodsCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do
Ireland hope to have key batsman Paul Stirling available for their decisive World Twenty20 first-round clash against Holland. William Porterfield’s side top Group B after winning both their previous matches against Zimbabwe and the United Arab Emirates and would assure their place in the Super 10 stage by maintaining their 100 per cent record in Sylhet on Friday. A sizeable net run-rate advantage means they could still go through even if they slip up against the Dutch, but with high-profile matches against England, South Africa, Sri Lanka and New Zealand at stake they will take nothing for granted. And that makes Stirling’s firness key. The big-hitting opener was forced to retire hurt after being hit on the elbow during the 21-run D/L win over UAE, but he has avoided a break and will face a final check-up before the teams are announced. “It’s just a bit of a soft tissue thing,” said Porterfield. “He had a precautionary X-ray and everything came back clear. He got it on pretty tender part of elbow but he’ll be fine for the game, he’ll just ice up and rest up for Friday.” Ireland physio Andrew Dunne added: “I would be hopeful. Without any fracture he can’t do any more damge to it but it can still be painful so we’ll see how he pulls up in the morning.” Porterfield and coach Phil Simmons face a selection headache between off-spinner Andy McBrine and seamer Tim Murtagh. They have each played a match each thus far, 20-year-old McBrine impressing on debut against Zimbabwe before Murtagh turned in an equally impressive showing when replacing the 20-year-old on Wednesday. Conditions are likely to play a part, while Stirling’s availability and fitness to bowl his deceptive spin may also come into the reckoning, with McBrine a possible beneficiary should be not be ready to contribute with the ball. Press Association
“We know that we’ve been in this situation two years ago and I think we had been talking about that last week,” said Zabaleta, well aware City could now be crowned champions on goal difference once again. “The most important thing we’ve learned from that experience was the team spirit to keep fighting until the end. “Whoever ends as the champions, it is because they will deserve it, and we are one of those teams who will fight for it. “Hopefully we can continue to win the games and show one more time that these players, this team, this manager, all the staff, are still working really hard and are still very hungry for the title.” Yaya Toure’s colossal performance dragged City to victory at Selhurst Park, the fit-again midfielder teeing up Dzeko before firing his side’s second himself. City’s victory, coupled with Chelsea’s 2-0 win over Liverpool at Anfield, sets up a tense run to the campaign’s climax. Pellegrini’s side trail leaders Liverpool by three points and second-placed Chelsea by one, but crucially they boast a game in hand over both. A superior goal difference could send the title City’s way once more, but Zabaleta admitted it is still too early to count anyone out. Pablo Zabaleta has tipped Manchester City to swipe the Barclays Premier League title in the season’s final seconds, just as they did in 2012. “Of course, we cannot forget Chelsea, they are a top team with a top manager,” said the 29-year-old defender. “They showed that they are still very hungry for the title, so everything is very tight and it’s going to be a fantastic race until the end. “It was a fantastic three points, we knew Liverpool lost so that was extra motivation to go out and show great team spirit. “We had a great performance, the team played fantastically well today, we deserved the three points, and now everything is in our hands again. “It was difficult because we were warming up and we were looking at the big screen: sometimes you don’t want to watch it, but we knew that Chelsea were winning 1-0. “But at the end of the day the most important thing is that we showed a fantastic performance.” Zabaleta believes Toure’s return after two weeks of thigh trouble will boost City for Saturday’s trip to Everton, and home challenges against Aston Villa and West Ham. “You always need big players in the team. I think Yaya showed one more time that he’s one of the main players of this team,” he said. “He’s having a great season; one assist, another goal, fantastic for the team and great to see Yaya back. “We have three games still to play, everything is in our hands again: we know that we must win those games if we want to win the title again. “But it’s going to be very difficult, the next game is Everton away and that’s always been very tough for us. “They are playing for the fourth place, so nothing is going to be easy.” Two added-time goals sent the title to the Etihad Stadium two years ago, as Edin Dzeko and Sergio Aguero salvaged a 3-2 home victory over QPR. It meant City claimed their first top-flight title since 1968 on goal difference, and after Sunday’s unflinching 2-0 win at Crystal Palace, Zabaleta believes Manuel Pellegrini’s men are ready for a repeat of 2012. Press Association
Travelers wishing this morning’s flight delays are actually just an April Fool’s joke are disappointed […]
Durban: Match-winner Kusal Perera insisted “all I did was my role” after his epic 153 not out took Sri Lanka to a dramatic one-wicket victory over South Africa in the first Test at Kingsmead on Saturday. Perera scored 67 of his runs in an unbeaten 78-run last-wicket stand with Vishwa Fernando which gave his underdog team a sensational victory. “When I was batting with the tail, I knew we couldn’t win this match by just scoring singles,” said Perera after his career-best knock which was already being hailed as one of Test cricket’s greatest innings.“I was the last proper batsman left. When the time felt right for me, I took my chances.” The left-hander managed to keep most of the strike and played some audacious strokes, including two sixes off fast bowler Dale Steyn and one each off Kagiso Rabada, Duanne Olivier and Keshav Maharaj.“I tried to hit to the closest boundary,” said Perera, who was described as “superman” by opposition skipper Faf du Plessis. “It was a superman effort. He deserves all the accolades,” said du Plessis. Perera added: “I had really wanted to hit two or three sixes off Steyn as we were getting close. Thankfully I was able to do that. I think my decision-making was really good.”Perera paid tribute to Fernando who played his part in what was the highest last-wicket stand in a fourth-innings chase in the history of first-class cricket. “I didn’t even look at the scoreboard when Vishwa came in and we had a lot of runs to get. I just tried to play it over by over and get us close, little by little.“Vishwa told me: ‘I’ll hit the ball with my body, if nothing else. You do what you can.’ I took a lot of strength from that. Without any fear I took the single and gave the strike to him. He did a huge job.”Plaudits poured in for Perera. “Kusal Perera !!!! WOW …. One of the greatest Test innings of all time,” tweeted former England captain Michael Vaughan. Dimuth Karunaratne, captaining Sri Lanka for the first time, said: “We had to believe in Kusal. It was a fantastic knock against a really good fast bowling attack.”Karunaratne said his team had gone into the match with confidence, despite being long-odds underdogs. Questions for du Plessis. Sri Lanka had been mauled in series in New Zealand and Australia and had undergone upheavals in personnel, including the sacking of previous captain Dinesh Chandimal.Also read | Sri Lanka creates history after upstaging South Africa in a cracker jack encounterKarunaratne said the tours of New Zealand and Australia had helped Sri Lanka prepare for South Africa. “We learned lots of things on how to play on these kinds of wickets, with pace and bounce,” he said.He also pointed to Sri Lanka’s record in Durban. On two previous tours they had a win and a draw against an 11-0 losing record on other grounds in South Africa. “Everybody was keen to play here and to enjoy their game with clear minds to express themselves,” he said.Sri Lanka made sure they could not lose the two-match series but Karunaratne said they would be pushing for a series win in the second Test which starts in Port Elizabeth on Thursday. “It will not be an easy task. We have to start from zero but we are in a really good mindset now.”South African captain Faf du Plessis defended his tactics of setting wide-spread fields for Perera during the last-wicket stand. “Some days you just have to say ‘well played’,” Du Plessis said at the post-match press conference. “Even with the fielders out on the boundary he still took risks. If he’s doing that, even if you bring the field up he’ll do the same.”Du Plessis said Perera’s innings would be talked about for years to come. “To hit the bowlers we have for six says that all the risks he took paid off. His consistency with trying to take risks and weighing up when to do it was incredible. I think we must focus on how good that innings was. He manoeuvred the field brilliantly.”Du Plessis acknowledged that he was likely to be criticised for his decisions. “There will always be question marks on things that you could have done. On any other day he could have got out to one of those top edges that landed in the gaps and you would have said, ‘well bowled’.” For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
Interim boss Roberto Di Matteo hailed Chelsea’s players after their win in Lisbon but insisted the quarter-final tie is still very much alive.Salomon Kalou’s goal gave the Blues a 1-0 victory over Benfica and means they are overwhelming favourites to go through.“Nothing is over – there’s still another 90 minutes to play,” Di Matteo told Sky.AdChoices广告“The players deserve all the credit, because they’ve got a lot of stick. They’ve been fantastic. They’re doing if for themselves, the supporters and the club.“We went close on a number of occasions and kept a clean sheet. And we looked good defensively, again.”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
At their first ever FIFA World Cup in 2002, Senegal defeated defending champions France in their opening match andÂ went on to make the quarter-finals,before going down to a golden goal against Turkey.That team wrote footballing history for the country, and the new generation â€“ featuring Liverpoolâ€™sÂ Sadio ManeÂ â€“ will be looking to add another chapter as they confront Poland today. The captain 16 years ago â€“ Aliou Cisse â€“ has also gone on to become the coach.The Lions of Teranga will be eager to show their claws against a Poland team that was desperately unlucky to go out in the quarter-finals of UEFA EURO 2016 on penalties. Adam NawaÅ‚kaâ€™s charges are back at the World Cup after a 12-year absence and all eyes will be on Robert Lewandowski, who scored no fewer than 16 goals in the qualifying phase plus another three in two warm-up matches ahead of Russia 2018.His face appears on stamps back in his homeland, and he will be looking to shine on his World Cup debut in Moscowâ€™s Spartak StadiumÂ Tuesdayafternoon.Poland has always made it through the group stages of the World Cup when they get at least a point in their opening match (1974, 1978, 1982, 1986), but when they have lost their opener, they have gone no further (2002, 2006).No surprises then that the coach and the players are underlining the importance of this match against Senegal.With Lewandowski (and his 55 international goals) in the team, there is plenty of hope that NawaÅ‚kaâ€™s men will get to play more than three matches in Russia.The Teranga Lions on the other hand have history on their side.Sixteen years after their first and only appearance to date, the Lions of Teranga are back on the World Cup stage after finishing their qualifying group ahead of South Africa, Cape Verde Islands and Burkina Faso.Coach Cisse has put together a team with physical presence in the shape of Mame Diouf, Kalidou Koulibaly and Cheikhou Kouyate, and technical prowess with the likes of Idrissa Gueye and Keita Balde, as well as being strong down the flanks.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
One of the country’s best offensive rebounding teams, No. 9 North Carolina (17-3, 5-1 Atlantic Coast), burned Syracuse down low, grabbing 18 offensive boards and totaling 20 second-chance points in its 85-68 victory over Syracuse (11-8, 3-3) on Monday night at the Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. SU could not avenge its 2016 Final Four loss to North Carolina from over nine months ago. Syracuse plays next on Saturday at Notre Dame. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 16, 2017 at 10:30 pm
Head coach of Accra Great Olympics, Annor Walker, was left stunned and flabbergasted at his players after their 4-0 loss to Hearts of Oak in Week 14 of the Ghana Premier League.Great Olympics were handed their biggest defeat of the season by their city rivals. They were dominated in the tie and they had no response to what the Phobians threw at them.After the match, Walker told StarTimes’ Eli Kondoh that he was left absolutely shocked at the output of the team in the match.“I am short of words and I do not know what to say. Honestly, I am very disappointed in the players because if you look at how we played against Dwarfs in Week 13 and in the previous matches and you compare it to what we did against Hearts, I do not know what to say.”The loss was Olympics’ 8th of the season and they are now 15th on the table on 14 points.Olympics face Liberty (home), Kotoko (away) and Dreams FC (home) in their final three matches of the first round of the Ghana Premier League.